Friday, October 5, 2007

Librarianship: really?

stop the trainI love being a librarian. I love providing information for a public that would otherwise be "out in the cold". But I must admit that I've reached the point where I don't think that it is enough. In November of 2006 our country sent a message, and the message was "what the hell do you people think you're doing?" Since then, our newly elected Democratic Congress has done next to nothing to put a stop to the insanity in Iraq.

Being a librarian and providing service to the public isn't stopping the war machine that our country has become. I feel sometimes like I'm going to have to lay down on the tracks politically, and probably also physically, in order to be heard. Is that what's coming? I'll let you know soon, because there are some options that will be presenting themselves within the next few weeks. We will not be a silent majority.

No comments: