Saturday, November 10, 2007

I couldn't have said it better myself

This post just in from the Library 2.0, 3Rs conference in New York. It could be argued that as public librarians, we serve a population that has even less interest in Web 2.0 applications than the average academic librarian assists.

The writer of the blog From the Reference Desk points out that Mr. Abrams probably doesn't spend much actual "face time" with the Millenials that he claims to know so well. Library 2.0 advocates seem terribly quick to put labels on "types" of patrons and to generalize about those suggested types. They seem to want us to allocate 80% of our resources to tech savvy patrons when they only comprise about 5% of the people coming in the front door.

1 comment:

Angel, librarian and educator said...

I have to give the guy (RefDesk) kudos for having the guts to say what I am sure a few librarians out in the field are thinking. I know I have thought about this a few times, and I have said to myself the same things about certain evangelists who make sweeping generalizations and seem to want us to allocate that 80% for a small minority.

Personally, I am an academic librarian, but I worked at an urban campus, and I now work in a closer to rural setting. In both places, tech savvyness is not exactly as the evangelists would have us believe. Sure, there is some multitasking and use of some tools, but loud clamoring for them? Nope. Not even close.

I've pretty much tuned out a lot of the 2.0 preaching. Not because I am technophobic. Far from it. I have done so because often when you question, you get labeled as someone who "does not get it." And to be honest, I could not care less about such attitude. I am just moving along, using what tools I find will solve a problem, and not worried about the label.

Best, and keep on blogging.