Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Recession? What recession?

Barbara Ehrenreich suggests in this blog post that we now have two economies. One for the rich and one for everyone else. The idea that we might be approaching a recession is quite silly. Anyone who isn't rich knows that we've been in a recession for some time now. Recession only begins to reach the rich (read capitalist class) when the poor and middle class have to stop spending money because they either a) have none, or b) have already overextended themselves on credit.

As workers continue to get squeezed for "more productivity" by being forced to work longer hours to do more than their own jobs, we are finding that there simply is no incentive because at the end of the pay period, our paychecks have less and less buying power every month. I'm spending way more at the gas pump and grocery store and for utilities than my annual pay increase will cover. This means that no matter how hard I work I'm becoming poorer every year. And I know I'm not alone. This economic system sucks for the vast majority of us.

And then to top it off, there was this today. Apparently the U.S. ranks dead last among the 19 industrialized nations in addressing preventable deaths for those under the age of 75. Who ranked first? France and their silly socialized medical system. And that awful Canadian system? Ranked 6th. And which Presidential candidate is the only one calling for single payer health care? Dennis Kucinich, who somehow keeps being excluded from televised debates.

1 comment:

Angel, librarian and educator said...

You certainly are not alone. This post for me was timely as I just saw a feature in MSN about how the middle class is not so much in a crunch because of housing, health care, etc., but because they spend on frilly things like the Starbucks latte. While I do agree to an extent (spending 30+ a week on coffee when you can make your own is obscene), the other things do count. At the end of the day, it is a damn recession, but heaven forbid anyone admits it.

I am also spending way more at the pump and for groceries (and I am talking basics like milk and bread). But again, heaven forbid we look to other places like France. It has become a two-economy system: for the rich who pretty much have no clue (and include all the politicians now. Someone should be honest and ask them when they have ever tried living on our salaries), and the rest of us who just get by. So what else is new?

I was not aware Ms. Ehrenreich had a blog. I have liked her books, so I will add her. Thanks for posting.

Best, and keep on blogging.