Wednesday, February 27, 2008

No respect

As some of you may know, I'm a recent library school graduate. Yesterday I arrived at work and in my email I found a message that explained that an unfilled full-time position in our reference department was being reclassified as a paraprofessional position rather than requiring an MLS as it has previously. In the relatively short time that I have worked for this public library, we have lost two full time MLS positions in reference - a department of just a few total positions.

When I first took my library job I was encouraged to go to library school for a Master's degree. They told me that the future was bright for persons with an MLS. Now I'm afraid that future is becoming less and less bright as time goes on.

2 comments:

Angel, librarian and educator said...

If the Wausau stories of those demoted librarians are any indication, the future is not going to be very bright. Indeed, it is a serious lack of respect.

Best, and keep on blogging.

The.Effing.Librarian said...

if only we had an accurate count of how many of "us" there are compared to "them." I can only handle 200 of "them."