Sunday, March 30, 2008

A late night thought

So I'm right around my forth decade of life and I just had a thought about my parents generation that I wanted to flesh out a bit.

It seems to me that my parent's generation defined themselves by what they did for a living. I've always been of the opinion that it doesn't really matter what you do to make money as long as you're able to, in the immortal words of our 43rd President, "put food on your family". But my parents, and maybe your parents, would ask immediately following any introduction, "so what do you do?"

As a librarian and especially as a public librarian, we're not exactly pulling down the big bucks. But there's so much more to me than my work world. I don't understand the drive to define myself by what I do to make ends meet. I'm thankful that I don't have to do anything shady for a living, and that's a rare privilege these days. But how many of us are so wild about librarianship that we'd do it anyway even if we won Powerball? Of course, for me to win Powerball would require a magical wind to blow the winning ticket into my hand from the mystical heavens.

No comments: